BELGIAN ENDIVE AU GRATIN RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: gaidgin
Categories: Greens Side Dishes
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|8 heads Belgian endive, trimmed|
|2 tablespoons butter|
|2 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1 cup milk|
|1 cup grated Gruyere cheese, divided|
|2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese|
|¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, or amount to taste|
|salt and ground black pepper to taste|
|8 slices deli-style ham|
|¼ cup chopped fresh parsley|
- Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Place the endives into the water. Cover, and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the butter into a saucepan, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and golden brown. Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper until well blended. Cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Preheat an oven broiler to low.
- Drain the endives. Wrap each endive with a slice of ham, and place into the prepared baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the endives. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese and parsley.
- Cook the endives under preheated broiler until cheese is golden brown and sauce bubbles, about 10 minutes.
Calories 206.6 calories, CarbohydrateContent 20.4 g, CholesterolContent 28.7 mg, FatContent 10.1 g, FiberContent 16 g, ProteinContent 12.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 5.7 g, SodiumContent 210.4 mg, SugarContent 2.8 g