HOW TO MAKE COQUILLES SAINT-JACQUES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Seafood Appetizers
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|½ cup diced shallots|
|½ pound white button mushrooms, sliced|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|1 cup white wine|
|1 pound sea scallops|
|½ cup heavy whipping cream|
|1 egg yolk|
|2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon|
|1 teaspoon lemon zest|
|1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste|
|4 large oven-safe scallop shells|
|¼ cup shredded Gruyere cheese|
|1 pinch paprika|
|8 fresh tarragon leaves|
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add shallots and sauté until translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, salt, and black pepper; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Pour wine into the pan and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon; bring to a simmer. Gently place scallops into wine and poach in the mushroom mixture until barely firm, about 2 minutes per side; transfer scallops to a bowl. Strain mushroom mixture into another bowl, reserving mushrooms and cooking liquid separately.
- Return strained liquid to skillet, pour in any accumulated juices from scallops, and stir in cream. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until cream sauce is reduced by about half, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let mixture cool for 1 minute.
- Quickly whisk egg yolk into cream sauce until combined. Transfer skillet to a work surface (such as a heatproof countertop or cutting board) and stir 2 in teaspoons tarragon, lemon zest, and cayenne pepper.
- Divide mushroom mixture into scallop shells, spreading it out to cover the bottoms of shells; place about 3 scallops onto each portion. Spoon cream sauce over scallops to coat; let sauce drizzle down into mushrooms. Sprinkle lightly with Gruyère cheese and paprika.
- Preheat the oven’s broiler. Slightly crinkle a large sheet of aluminum foil and place onto a baking sheet. Place filled shells onto foil and press lightly to help them stay level.
- Broil in the preheated oven until bubbling and cheese is lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plates lined with napkins to prevent shells from tipping; garnish each portion with 2 crossed tarragon leaves.
Calories 374.3 calories, CarbohydrateContent 8.3 g, CholesterolContent 161.6 mg, FatContent 21.6 g, FiberContent 0.9 g, ProteinContent 26.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 12.3 g, SodiumContent 318.8 mg, SugarContent 2.3 g