CHEF JOHN’S PATATAS BRAVAS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Potato Side Dishes
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|1 clove garlic, minced, or more to taste|
|½ teaspoon smoked paprika|
|1 pinch salt|
|1 cup mayonnaise|
|1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or more to taste|
|1 teaspoon tomato paste|
|¼ teaspoon ground chipotle peppers|
|1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|½ teaspoon ground black pepper|
|½ teaspoon paprika|
|½ teaspoon ground chipotle peppers|
|2 quarts cold water|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|1 teaspoon smoked paprika|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes|
|2 cups vegetable oil for frying|
- Make dipping sauce: Combine garlic, smoked paprika, and salt in a mortar and pestle or food processor; process until smooth. Mix in mayonnaise, sherry vinegar, tomato paste, chipotle chile powder, and cayenne pepper until combined. Cover and refrigerate sauce.
- Make spice blend: Mix together salt, black pepper, paprika, and chipotle chile powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make potatoes: Pour water into a large saucepan. Stir salt, smoked paprika, cumin, and bay leaves into water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir potatoes into seasoned water, bring to a boil, and simmer until potatoes are tender but not fully cooked, 4 to 5 minutes. The tip of a paring knife should easily insert into the center of a potato cube. Drain potatoes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Add cooled potato cubes and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to cool slightly. Toss in a bowl with spice blend and serve with dipping sauce.
Calories 678 calories, CarbohydrateContent 43.3 g, CholesterolContent 20.9 mg, FatContent 55.3 g, FiberContent 5.8 g, ProteinContent 5.6 g, SaturatedFatContent 8 g, SodiumContent 3885.4 mg, SugarContent 2.7 g